Rarely when you travel do you discover a place so enchanting you decide that you want to, one day, call it “home”.
That happened for us during a return trip to Costa Rica many years after our first vacation there in 1993. We had been searching for a decade+ for the perfect fit to meet our criteria for the next phase of our lives.
A country with an overall lower cost of living so our retirement dollars would go further, a place with incredible weather choices so I would never be cold again (but could drive just 2 hours from the beach and be in the temperate mountains).
It had been a dream to find a place with national healthcare at affordable prices, so I would no longer stress about health issues that might bankrupt me a in post-corporate career. A peaceful democratic nation embracing diversity and freedoms. Does such a place exist? Costa Rica abolished their military in 1948 and is often called the “Switzerland of Central America” for its neutrality and peaceful indexing.
But that is not all. Costa Rica offers jaw-dropping beauty at every twist and turn of the road. From gorgeous beaches on the Pacific and Caribbean coasts to volcanoes, from vast mountain ranges to stunning waterfalls. Naturalists are awed – and I am too. National Geographic researchers have verified that Costa Rica is one of the most bio-diverse places on earth. Because of the nutrient-rich soil, you will find some of the best coffee beans on the planet, as well as endless tropical fruits and vegetables – ensuring healthier eating habits.
With its close proximity to North America (2.5 hours to Miami, 3.5 hours to Houston flying time) it just made sense for us to plant some roots here. Bonus: you can drink the water safely out of the tap – one of the few countries in Latin America.
You get the picture.
We liked our original condo (purchased in 2013) so much, we bought a second one as an investment. A great vacation rental income producer or a trendy place to call home. We are looking at adding some diversity into our investment portfolio and are offering that ocean view condo for sale. I would like to share with you the features, should you know of anyone who might be interested in moving to or investing in this international idyllic lifestyle. Photo essay and town video below…
• Approx. 1400 sq.ft., (130 sq. m.): Including outdoor living space:
- Open design living/kitchen/dining:
- Euro kitchen with granite countertops and stainless-steel appliances:
• All appliances and light fixtures convey: Refrigerator, oven, electric cooktop, microwave, dishwasher, washer/dryer.
• 2 bedrooms: Large bedrooms can accommodate king-sized beds:
- 2.5 Bathrooms: 2 en-suite bathrooms – one for each bedroom – with granite countertops, barrel ceilings, designer dead sea coral tiles around the mirrors, and large 5’x5′ showers. One half-bath for guests:
• Walk-in closets: But your wardrobe requirements will shrink!
• Full-size stack washer-dryer in a separate laundry room with mop sink:
• Artistic details and lighting throughout:
• High-end finishes and tilework:
• Central air conditioning
• Decorative bamboo ceilings and 5 ceiling fans: Helping move the ocean breezes and keeping cooling costs down:
• Pacific Ocean views: From nearly every window!
• Secure underground garage: It is rare outside of the capital of San Jose to find underground parking. If you travel for extended periods it is a relief to know your car is parked in a secure place, plus it stays out of the corrosive elements like the sun and salty sea air:
• Storage bodega (50 sq. ft.): This is also a rare find for condos/apartments around the world. Extra storage for those suitcases, tools, sporting goods, and seasonal items:
• Security and property manager on-site: Many complexes do not offer this extra level of security and customer care.
• 1/2 block to the beach: The walk from our door to toes in the sand happens in less than 60 seconds:
• Walkable to restaurants, markets, grocery stores, clinics, pharmacies, the beach: This condo is located “downtown” making the entire town easily walkable in 15 minutes or less. In fact, if you are interested in seeing the amenities and the positive energy of the charming town of Tamarindo, here is a brief video showcasing everything within a short walk of this property.
• 2 Terraces with ocean views:
- 2 Elevators on property: No need to lug heavy loads up 5 flights of stairs:
• No shared walls (16 units total): Added tranquility to the property, making it feel like a home, not a condo.
• Community pool with fountains, sundeck, and ample chairs:
• Palapa rancho set over a soothing Balinese style water feature: This is one of my favorite unique features – I often go there to write.
• Water tank for droughts: This area of the Guanacaste province is the driest in the country. Although we are in the tropics, it is not stiflingly humid. Occasionally the area is subject to droughts. The water tank storage ensures a consistent flow of water throughout the day.
• Automatic back-up generator: The electrical grid here is not up to North American or European standards and there are occasional power outages (although not nearly like even 5 years ago). This building’s automatic generator keeps all the common areas lit, plus the elevator, garage door, and common area WiFi continue to function:
• Long-term residents and owners: You won’t have a revolving door of vacationers (like many complexes here) who don’t care about noise and preserving the integrity of the property. Almost all condos in this building are either owner-occupied or long-term renters. It is a quiet and friendly community.
• Recycling: Because Costa Rica cares about the environment:
Costa Rica is poised for a Renaissance in a post-pandemic world. Why not be a part of it?
• HOA monthly fees: US$415
• Annual 2021 property taxes: Approximately US$710
• Partially Furnished (negotiable)
Offered at: US$398,000 (Costa Rica corporation included for asset protection)
Contact for more information:
Steve Spada, Owner/Realtor
Costa Rica Global Assoc. of Realtors, Austin Board of Realtors/Texas Assoc. of Realtors/NAR
Costa Rica: +506-8353-6544